Livin the American Dream

After feeling an awful sense of guilt for EVER shopping at Walmart last week, a trip to Ten Thousand Villages in Central Park was a breath of fresh air. Ten Thousand Villages is a chain store that buys goods from artisans in other countries, sells them in the United States, and gives the artists a fair share of the profits. On Friday, I visited the store for a Students Helping Honduras fundraiser. 15% of the profits made that night went to SHH. I purchased two 12 oz. bags of Equal Exchange Columbian Drip Grind Coffee (try saying that three times fast!) Equal Exchange is a Massachusetts-based organization that trades directly with democratic cooperatives in foreign countries. They “provide alternatives for small coffee farmers by working directly with small farmer cooperatives, helping to built pride, independence, and community empowerment”. Equal Exchange buys and sells coffees, teas, cocoa, and chocolate. The variety of coffee I purchased is “known for producing a balanced cup, this distinctive coffee from the state of Caldas in Central Colombia delivers creamy body, mild acidity and subtle notes of ripe plum”. I can’t wait to try it! I purchased this 12 oz. bag for $8.00. It can also be purchased online for $9.00 (plus shipping). The product also comes in a 5 lb. size, which sells online at the EE website for $47.00.

I think organizations like Equal Exchange are very promising. Doesn’t it make sense to pay farmers fairly for their products? By making money on their own, a sense of pride is instilled in the workers, allowing them to suppor their families based on the money they earned. In a country that is so rooted in capitalist culture, we should applaud efforts such as this to help people become independent workers. Best of all, I can feel guilt-free while drinking my coffee in the mornings.

9 Responses to “Equal Exchange Organic Coffee”

1. Buy tramadol. on August 3rd, 2011 2:17 pm

Buy tramadol online….

Tramadol….

2. Buy oxycontin. on August 3rd, 2011 3:01 pm

Buy oxycontin….

Buy oxycontin….

3. Ephedrine. on August 3rd, 2011 4:06 pm

Ephedrine….

Ephedrine ingredients. Ephedrine. Ephedrine and seizures. Ephedrine hcl. Ephedrine metabadrine. Deaths related to ephedrine….

4. Buy soma. on August 3rd, 2011 9:42 pm

Buy soma….

Buy soma….

5. KennedyAmber28 on August 26th, 2011 12:22 am

Every one acknowledges that today’s life seems to be expensive, but we require money for various stuff and not every person earns enough money. Therefore to receive quick loans and just commercial loan will be good way out.

6. Fresh Coffee on June 27th, 2012 1:22 am

You have made some good points there. I checked on the web for additional information about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this website.

7. mobile games on April 14th, 2014 7:11 am

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning
    this write-up plus the rest of the website is extremely good.

8. telecharger teamviewer on April 21st, 2014 6:37 am

I like the helpful info you provide in your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your blog and check again here regularly.
    I’m quite certain I will learn many new stuff right here!
    Best of luck for the next!

Also visit my site; telecharger teamviewer

9. publicize on May 6th, 2014 6:20 am

publicize

Una ragazza americana