Livin the American Dream

I’d like to start this reflection with a scene I observed at the Spotsylvania Town Center Mall on Friday afternoon. A young father was walking through the mall with his four children: one little girl in a stroller, one older girl of about 7, and two older boys who were about 9. One of the older boys was pushing the stroller when this family caught my eye. The little girl stopped in her tracks when she became hypnotized by the explosion of pink and sequins in the Club Libby Lu window display. With her eyes as wide as dinner plates, she yelped “DADDY! Can we go in there?!” as she pointed to Libby Lu. The father hesitated, glanced at the store, sighed and said “Uh, okay”. The two brothers groaned a loud “UGH!” as they dragged their feet into the store, still pushing their younger sister in the stoller and rolling their eyes.

This was only one of the scenes I observed on my trip to the mall last Friday afternoon, October 10th, at about 2:15. It was a beautiful day outside, with a sunny high of 75 degrees. It made me a little sad that people chose to be inside the mall on a day as beautiful as Friday was. The environment inside the mall was very controlled, with a comfortable temperature and good lighting. Benches and couches provided abundant resting space, while potted plants and soft jazz music added to the relaxing ambiance of the mall.

The shoppers were an interesting collection of people. I observed mostly young mothers pushing strollers in groups. Women seemed to be in pairs, while men were either alone or with their wife or girlfriend. I also saw a handful of mothers and daughters. Shoppers were strolling the mall with Starbucks cups, sodas, or other snacks in their hands. It was also interesting to see how often people ran into other people they knew, such as neighbors or classmates. The mall is not only a center of shopping, but also a more central community gathering place where you can meet with people you know.

The stores of the Spotsylvania Town Center appeal to mostly middle-class shoppers. Clothing and shoe stores such as New York and Company, Footlocker, Hot Topic, Pac Sun, and American Eagle sell moderately priced goods that most middle-class families can afford. I also observed an abundance of jewelry stores, such as Shaw’s, Kay’s, Helzberg, and Zales. This may sound snobby, but even these jewelry stores sell jewelry that most people can afford on a “reasonable” splurge. Tiffany’s and Cartier have not set up shop in Spotsylvania. Specialty stores such as Teavana, Sunglass Hut, Guitar Center and Bath and Body Works provide shoppers with various gift ideas. Kiosks selling sunglasses, purses, and hair extensions are also scattered throughout the mall. Department stores such as JC Penny, Sears, Macy’s and Belk provide shoppers with dependable products from a name that they have been buying from for years. Also, there are various ways for shoppers to refuel during their afternoon of shopping. A food court, Starbucks, and other specialty stands selling cookies, pretzels, candy, cinnamon buns, and ice cream can be found in every direction.

I thought it was interesting to see how many of the gimmicks we discussed in class were used in the Spotsylvania Mall. A fashion show just like the one we saw in Hillsdale in 1957 was being set up for the holiday weekend. Also, a play park was situated in the middle of the mall, where tired parents can unleash their restless children and put up their feet for a few minutes. I also thought it was interesting to observe the democratic or exclusive feel a store was trying to portray, as discussed in Fiske’s article.  The more “democratic” stores such as JC Penny’s had wide entrances that invited everyone inside. The more “exclusive” stores such as American Eagle or Hollister had smaller doors that shoppers must have confidence to enter (and by confidence, I mean a fat wallet).

As a teenager, I used to go to the mall with my girlfriends all the time. Our parents would drop us off in their mini-vans and we’d hang out, spending our babysitting money, for the entire afternoon. When you are 14, you don’t have many options of where to spend your time or money, which is why the mall is so flooded with teenagers. The mall is a controlled, generally safe environment that people can feel safe in. Also, with so many options for food, clothing, and other activities, you can spend hours strolling around! As a broke college student, I don’t hang out at the mall too much these days. I’ve tried to cut back my spending as much as possible, and the purpose of going to the mall is to spend money. Also, shopping has become a more social event more me. If I really need something, I will run out and get it as quickly as possible. But if my friend calls me up and we have nothing better to do, we will stroll around Tyson’s or another outdoor town center just to pass the time. It is interesting to see how shopping doesn’t always have to do with getting what you truly need. After my Friday trip, I have concluded that the Spotsylvania Town Center is not only a center of consumption, but a community center as well. People come to pass the time, run into people they know, eat food, but above all, spend their money.

20 Responses to “Fieldwork at Spotsylvania Town Center”

1. Hemorrhoid Treatment : on October 28th, 2010 9:34 am

Not all diamond jewelry stores are the same so check reviews first before buying on a jewelry store;~*

2. Eustolia Bardos on November 17th, 2010 1:49 am

some jewelry stores offer a good deal of bargain for their new jewelry styles ‘,-

3. Transistor on February 6th, 2011 4:04 pm

`:~ that seems to be a great topic, i really love it ‘;’

4. Buy nolvadex. on August 3rd, 2011 5:05 pm

Buy nolvadex….

Buy nolvadex….

5. Buy valium. on August 3rd, 2011 7:58 pm

Buy valium….

Buy valium….

6. Buy lorazepam. on August 3rd, 2011 11:11 pm

Buy lorazepam….

Buy lorazepam….

7. d5100 on April 15th, 2014 5:29 am

In moments with extreme contrasts, for example vibrant, sunlit clouds along with a foreground
    deep in shadow, back in the day very difficult to render the textures of either.
    Most cameras have a “Portrait” setting, but I
    find that using the sunset setting makes much more vibrant and
    beautiful photos. The camera proffer horizontal swing out, vari-angle monitor for superior viewing, complete-HD movie recording function and easy, straight
    function for clicking intentional photos.

8. Vida on April 15th, 2014 3:37 pm

Generally I don’t read article on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to check out and
    do so! Your writing style has been amazed me.
    Thanks, quite great post.

9. www.Youtube.com on April 16th, 2014 12:53 pm

With havin so much content and articles do you ever
    run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement?
    My website has a lot of unique content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is
    popping it up all over the web without my authorization. Do
    you know any ways to help stop content from being stolen?

I’d truly appreciate it.

My site; hay day cheats (http://www.Youtube.com)

10. csr racing cheats android on April 18th, 2014 7:27 am

It’s going to be finish of mine day, except before end I am reading this great paragraph to increase my experience.

Also visit my site – csr racing cheats android

11. Lamps Clinic Promo Codes on April 20th, 2014 3:47 am

Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation;
    many of us have developed some nice methods and we are looking to swap solutions with other folks,
    please shoot me an e-mail if interested.

12. www.facebook.com on April 22nd, 2014 10:59 pm

As you keep acting from this perspective your business will inevitably grow in the weeks to come.
    As being a separating shot listed below are what involving super-star
    Keanu Beckham: ‘At initial When i has been worried
    My spouse and i has been petrified. The smallest size contains a whopping 920 calories
    and 46 grams of fat.

13. wooden boat plans on April 23rd, 2014 8:16 pm

The two of them had searched for the perfect house to buy, and after months of looking, decided on the perfect home
    in Charleston, SC. When this happens, you will be restricted
    to the price that the home builders will give you. Despite this single
    obvious benefit, bats are often thought of in popular culture with reference to Bram Stoker’s fictional
    vampire Dracula, even though the majority of bats do not drink blood.

14. clickbankmarketplacefeed.com on April 26th, 2014 7:27 pm

The terrain of a renegade field will vary wildly and
    most likely you will be working with natural cover and concealment rather than large, colorful but artificial bunkers.

The particular paintball struck at high velocity can bring about harm.

Most paintball markers use carbon dioxide because it is a lot cheaper even though nitrogen or high pressure air
    is a lot better than carbon dioxide.

15. lawyers on April 27th, 2014 11:27 pm

Likewise, you should be enlightened on the fees that you will pay in exchange for their legal expertise.
    This allows these family lawyers to give the right advice, which can
    only be of benefit to the family in the long run.
    Delayed response can prevent the accident compensation process or
    may even lose the opportunity to file a claim.

16. Owen on April 28th, 2014 8:03 am

Hey there! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against
    hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve
    worked hard on. Any suggestions?

17. Cheap Ralph Lauren Trousers on April 28th, 2014 10:28 pm

Great goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous
    to and you are just extremely magnificent. I actually like what you have acquired here,
    certainly like what you are saying and the way
    in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and
    you still care for to keep it wise. I can’t wait to read much
    more from you. This is really a great website.

18. carpet cleaning prices london on April 28th, 2014 10:46 pm

Attractive part of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital
    to say that I acquire actually enjoyed account your weblog posts.
    Any way I will be subscribing in your augment and even I
    success you get entry to constantly fast.

19. what is the paleo diet on April 29th, 2014 7:27 am

In the winter, the dog’s body heat is what helps to heat the house.

By taking advantage of the latest computer technology this product has compiled
    enough projects to fill many bookshelves. Perfect if you want
    to be able to use the boat inside waters.

20. car rent in Pattaya on April 29th, 2014 12:27 pm

I love looking through an article that will make people think.
    Also, many thanks for allowing for me to comment!